Thinking of living or moving to Chesapeake Beach, MD? I am biased since I call the town my home; but it’s a great little community. It’s about 45 minutes from Capitol Hill and 20 to 30 minutes from Andrews AFB. About 5800 people call Chesapeake Beach home. The bayside town has a community beach, water park and Railway Museum and Trail.
The town became a resort location in the early twentieth century. It was a short ride on the Chesapeake Beach Railway from DC. Baltimore steam ships also brought weekend vacationers to the area. The town thrived until the economic depression brought the end of the railroad. Families continued to vacation during the summer though.
The town has a community beach called Brownies Beach. There is a small parking lot but that will get full quickly during the summer season. You can also reach the beach by taking the boardwalk that starts on 17th street. The boardwalk is a great place to take a walk or a jog. You can also just sit and relax on the benches and watch the ships go by.
On Fishing Creek you will find a second boardwalk, the Chesapeake Railroad Trail. The trail starts at the Marine West Marina and takes you past crab boats and Osprey Nests. This trail takes you to two main neighborhoods as well, Richfield Station and Bay View Hills.
Chesapeake Beach’s elementary school is Beach Elementary. The school is located right on the main street of the town. The school has 10 acres that include nature trails. It is a Maryland Governor’s Green School. There are about 500 students pre-k to 5th grade that go to school. The school is a big part of the community, holding the Wobble Gobble Run and performing at the town’s holiday lighting celebration.
The middle school is Windy Hill Middle School . About 700 students grades 6th through 8th. The school is located near by in Owings. High schoolers also go to Owings for school. They attend Northern High School. About 1500 kids go to the school. The school offers AP classes and about 44 percent of the students take AP classes. Calvert county schools as a whole, rank #1 in the state of Maryland by U.S. News!
1. Roland’s – Smaller grocery store & liquor store in the heart of Chesapeake Beach on Bayside Rd/Rt. 261, Shopping center is next to the Chesapeake Beach Resort. The store is known for it’s country ham and potato salad. It also has a wide variety of craft beers and a great wine selection.
2. CVS – located in the same shopping center as Roland’s.
You will have to go to either Prince Frederick or Dunkirk for larger grocery stores.
1. Safeway, Dunkirk, MD – At the corner of Rt. 4 & Ward Rd. on the left going Rt. 4 North, there is also a Safeway in Prince Frederick on the right side, if you take Rt. 4 South,
2. Giant, Dunkirk, MD – On Rt. 4, just past the light at Ward Rd. when going north on Rt. 4, it will be on the right.
3. Food Lion: This is across Route 4 from Giant. It sit back off the road.
4. Safeway: This is farther south on Route 4. Its at the intersection with Dares Beach Road on the right had side. A TJMax is in the same parking lot.
5. Walmart: This one is larger than the one in Dunkirk. It’s located on Route 4 south of the intersection of Dares Beach Road. There is a Wendy’s in the parking lot.
Other Town Information:
If you live in the city limits, the cost of trash removal is a part of your yearly taxes. During the summer season, trash is picked up twice a week. The rest of the year it will be picked only once a week. There is also recycling in town. During the summer season that is picked up one a week. All other times, recycling is picked up every other week. The Complete Schedule
The town sends water bills every quarter. You can pay the charges on line. When you move in, you will need to call Town Hall to change over the name. The number is 410-257-2230.
your equipment at the Comcast office in Prince Frederick and do your own
self-installation as opposed to having to wait for the cable guy. If you choose to do this instead of calling
Comcast, here are directions:
and follow this down for about 6-7 miles.
Rt-261/Bayside will change to Rt-263/Plum Point Rd. automatically about
half way down. Just keep going straight
until the road comes to an end at Rt.-4.
onto Stoakley Rd.
Prince Frederick Blvd. – Comcast is about ¼ mile down on your left.
The electric company is BGE a division of Constellation Energy Corporation; they can be reached at 800-685-0123. Call BGE to have electricity put in your name
A lot of the older houses in the area have oil heat. Some also have propane. It’s something to look for when you are thinking about the house. It is an added expense. There are several vendors in the area that will either fill up when you call or you can have it set up for an automatic refill. It all depends on what works best for you.
Chesapeake Beach Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Chesapeake Beach
- 7972 Delores COURT Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 2401 Green Leaf TERRACE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 3397 Silverton LANE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8051 Forest Ridge DRIVE, Unit 4 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8442 Clear Spring DRIVE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8016 Delores COURT Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8501 Bayside ROAD, Unit 303 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 2521 Woodland TERRACE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
Sold Listings in Chesapeake Beach
- 8327 Autumn Crest LANE, Unit 5 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 3405 Silverton LANE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 2536 Crest View LANE, Unit 3 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8108 Silver Fox WAY Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8303 Autumn Crest LANE, Unit 1 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8090 Windward Key DRIVE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8149 Woodland LANE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8256 Silverton COURT Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8248 Silverton COURT Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8341 Autumn Crest LANE, Unit 5 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8335 Autumn CREST, Unit 2 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8109 Woodland LANE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 2417 Green Leaf TERRACE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 8441 Clear Spring DRIVE Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
- 2537 Crest VIEW, Unit 7 Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
Walk Score for Chesapeake Beach
Chesapeake Beach School Data
Chesapeake Beach School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Chesapeake Beach Schools
- Beach Elementary School
- PK-5, public
Posted on December 24, 2014 at 7:14 pm by Michelle Doell